Sunday 28 June 2015

What is the Yorkshire 3 Peak Challenge?

The Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge is a walking  route that includes the 3 highest peaks in Yorkshire: 
  • Pen-y-Ghent (2,269 ft/691 m)
  • Whernside (2,388 ft/728 m)
  • Ingleborough (2,372 ft/723 m)
The peaks are normally done in that order with the aim being to finish all 3 in under 12 hours. The total distance walked is 23.5 mi/37.5 km with a total climb of 5,202 ft/1,586 m.

Many people do the walk on their own or in a small group and navigate via map and compass or GPS. While I'm sure I could do that, the aim of this challenge isn't to improve my orienting skills so I'll probably use a guide service that will provide a support vehicle, guide and equipment if needed.

In just the few days that I've been telling people about my goals, I've already had one person say they would join me on the 3 Peak Challenge. This got me thinking that maybe others would like to join me on Sunday, 26 June 2016 for a group challenge. Is anyone else interested? There will probably be a small fee involved depending on the company I chose but it shouldn't be too much.

Upon completion of the challenge and for those who clock in and out at the Pen-y-Ghent Café in Horton-in-Ribblesdale, you will be invited to join the "Three Peaks of Yorkshire Club" and purchase a Yorkshire Three Peaks badge and tie.

I know this isn't the most demanding challenge in the world and lots of people (including school children) have completed it, but it's more about what it represents than how difficult it is. That said, make no mistakes...this isn't an easy walk and proper training is a must, as well as, having the right clothing and gear as weather conditions have been known to change drastically without warning. There may be plenty of people that have completed the challenge but there have been many (including experienced climbers) who have failed.

Let me know if you're interested in joining my trek. the more the merrier!

Tomorrow will be my first weekly update post. I was at 260 lbs last Monday. Let's see what the scales say in the morning.

Blake (260 lbs, 28 June 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment